- How do you maintain a sterile field?
- How long do sterilized items remain sterile for?
- What are the rules for working in and around a sterile field?
- How is a sterile package opened?
- Why must you perform a surgical scrub before donning sterile gloves?
- When should sterile gloves be worn?
- What is the proper procedure when turning the gown?
- Which part of a sterile gown is actually considered sterile?
- What parts of a gown are considered sterile quizlet?
- Which area on the surgical gown is not considered sterile?
- How is a sterile area maintained quizlet?
- What is a sterile drape and how does it contribute to a sterile field?
How do you maintain a sterile field?
10 Areas of Focus for Maintaining a Sterile Field in an ASCInvolve all team members.
Follow the same practices every day.
Reduce conversation in the sterile field.
Inspect instruments and trays for tears.
Include a sterilization indicator with each item/tray.
Be sure before using an item.
Face the sterile field at all times.More items…•.
How long do sterilized items remain sterile for?
30 daysSupplies wrapped in double-thickness muslin comprising four layers, or equivalent, remain sterile for at least 30 days. Any item that has been sterilized should not be used after the expiration date has been exceeded or if the sterilized package is wet, torn, or punctured.
What are the rules for working in and around a sterile field?
Do not sneeze, cough, laugh, or talk over the sterile field. Maintain a safe space or margin of safety between sterile and non-sterile objects and areas. Refrain from reaching over the sterile field. Keep operating room (OR) traffic to a minimum, and keep doors closed.
How is a sterile package opened?
A sterile package may also be opened as follows: 1. Hold the package in one hand with the top flap opening away from the person opening the package. … Using the free hand to hold the flap against the wrist of the hand holding the package is an effective technique.
Why must you perform a surgical scrub before donning sterile gloves?
Regardless of technique, perform a thorough surgical scrub prior to applying the gloves. … The closed-gloving technique ensures that the hands only touch the inside of the gown and the gloves, thus keeping the outside of the gown sterile. donning sterile gloves: closed gloving technique. 1.
When should sterile gloves be worn?
Wear gloves when it can be reasonably anticipated that contact with blood or other body fluids, mucous membranes, non-intact skin or potentially infectious material will occur. C. Remove gloves after caring for a patient. Do not wear the same pair of gloves for the care of more than one patient.
What is the proper procedure when turning the gown?
On the front of your gown, at waist level, is a flap that has been tied in place. You or the scrub tech will untie the flap and you will then turn a full circle while the tech holds onto the end of the flap. This will wrap your back with the sterile gown’s flap. After “turning” you are sterile on all sides.
Which part of a sterile gown is actually considered sterile?
sleevesAfter donning the surgical gown, the only parts of the gown that are considered sterile are the sleeves (except for the axillary area) and the front from waist level to a few inches below the neck opening. If the gown is touched or brushed by an unsterile object, the gown is then considered contaminated.
What parts of a gown are considered sterile quizlet?
-Gowns are only considered sterile “from the waist up” and only in the front….sleeves.front from the waist up.back from below the waist.
Which area on the surgical gown is not considered sterile?
(2) The parts of a surgical gown (see Figures 1-2 and 1-3) considered sterile are the sleeves (except for the axillary area) and the front of the gown from table level to a few inches below the neck opening. (3) The scrub sets basins or glasses to be filled at the edge of the sterile table opposite where he stands.
How is a sterile area maintained quizlet?
How is a sterile area maintained? A sterile area is maintained by having only sterile items touch other sterile items. … A sterile package is opened with ungloved hands only touching the outside of the package.
What is a sterile drape and how does it contribute to a sterile field?
A sterile field is an area created by placing sterile surgical drapes around the patient’s surgical site and on the stand that will hold sterile instruments and other items needed during surgery.